Opticom GPS System
Featuring global positioning satellite (GPS) technology, as well as highly secure radio communication, the Opticom GPS system delivers safe, efficient results for emergency service and transit vehicles everywhere. At the same time, it gives traffic engineers a new level of intersection management and control. And it's all protected with a full range of installation, training and setup services to ensure optimal, long-term system performance.
1. When an emergency vehicle responds to a 911 call or when a transit vehicle needs to pick up time, the Opticom™ GPS System gives those vehicles an advantage at intersections.
2. Using Department of Defense satellites, your Opticom GPS system vehicle equipment calculates vehicle speed, heading, longitude and latitude information.
3. The Opticom GPS system intersection equipment is programmed with an approach map to define corridors for priority control activity.
4. As the oncoming vehicle enters the intersection's radio range (up to 2,500 feet), the vehicle sends speed, heading and position information that is updated every second. The signal from the vehicle also transmits vehicle, class and agency ID information, as well as turn signal status.
5. The Opticom™ GPS system intersection equipment sends the priority request to the Opticom™ GPS Phase Selector in the controller cabinet, which requests green-light priority through normal controller functions.
6. The system recognizes the activated turn signal and relays the priority call forward to the next appropriate intersection on the route.
For more information about the product...